Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Kung Pao Chicken

I am always trying to come up with new recipes, but being the picky eater than I am, it's hard to find things I like! This one came in an email to me a while back (I get the daily recipe emails...I maybe use 1 out of every 100 I get!), and I've been wanting to try it.  I just couldn't seem to get all the ingredients together at one time, but I finally did last night!  And, I even documented the whole process with pictures!

Start with your ingredients:
  1 cup of sliced red bell pepper
 A few tablespoons of peanuts
 1 cups of snow peas, trimmed
 About 1 pound of skinless, boneless chicken cut into 1-inch pieces
 
2 tablespoons dark sesame oil 
1 cup chopped onion (I omitted this because I really can't stand onion!) 
2 garlic cloves, minced 
3/4 cup water 
3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce 
2 teaspoons cornstarch 
1 teaspoon brown sugar 
1/2 teaspoon bottled minced ginger 
1 to 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed red pepper

Directions:  
1. Heat sesame oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion to pan; sauté 3 minutes or until softened. Add garlic; sauté 30 seconds, stirring constantly. Add chicken; sauté 3-5 minutes or until chicken begins to brown.

2. Combine 3/4 cup water and the next 5 ingredients (through crushed red pepper), stirring until sugar dissolves. Add water mixture to pan; bring to a boil. Add bell pepper and snow peas to pan; cook for 2 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender and sauce thickens. Sprinkle with nuts.
The finished product! (well, before the peanuts were added.)
We made some brown rice to go with this and it was a very easy and filling meal!

1 comment:

  1. I love doing all sorts of different stir fries, like this. Theyre so easy, often few more than a handful of ingredients...many of which we keep around all the time (chicken, beef, veggies, rice, etc). Although I do need to out out and get more peanut oil and low sodium soy sauce.

    Glad to see yall trying to new things and especially the home made recipes. Soon, you'll be able to make this with your own home grown peppers!

    As for the $4 eggs...yeah thats a rough one. We eat a lot of eggs at our house and its hard to switch from $1.50 to nearly 5 bucks for dozen when we eat two dozen a week. So we we get the organic local stuff less often. But I'm glad you guys are.

    ReplyDelete